Expected vs. Unexpected
- You expect patients to have nausea after surgery.
- You do not expect patients to go into shock.
Chronic vs. Acute
- Prioritize patient with an allergic reaction over a patient with the influenza.
Stable vs. Unstable
- Prioritize patients who deteriorated from their normal baseline. (i.e. patients who are nonresponsive on dialysis when the blood pressure drop.)
- Patients who have signs of shock are not stable.
Potential Problem vs. Actual Problem
- Prioritize postoperative patients who just got out of surgery vs teaching preoperative patients about the potential problems.
- Prioritize Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs. (Physiological needs before love and belonging)
Safe vs. Unsafe
- Prioritize any situation when the LPN or UAP is doing anything out of their scope of practice.
- Prioritize malfunctioning equipment or tubing.